Religion /

Bishop Stabbed During Sermon in Australia

Law enforcement has reportedly arrested a 15-year-old in connection to the attack that left 5 men injured

Bishop Stabbed During Sermon in Australia

A conservative bishop was among several people injured after a church stabbing near Sydney, Australia. 

The ensuing outrage prompted an estimated 2,000 people to gather outside the church. Hundreds of people were subsequently involved in a clash with law enforcement.

A video of the attack shows Bishop Mar Mari Emmanuel speaking from a podium on April 15 when a male in a dark hooded sweatshirt approaches him and begins attacking him with a knife. Several people attending the service can be seen rushing to the bishop and attempting to restrain the attacker. Mari’s seron was being livestreamed at the time of the stabbing.

Mari leads Christ the Good Shepherd in Wakeley, an Assyrian Christian Orthodox church in the suburbs of Sydney. He gained online prominence during the COVID-19 global pandemic when he expressed public concern about vaccination requirements and lockdown mandates – which he compared to a form of “mass slavery,” per The Telegraph.

New South Wales police confirmed the attacker was known to law enforcement and did not attend Mari’s church. The suspect, who is reportedly 15 years old, has been taken into custody and sustained an injury to the hand.

The church confirmed in a statement that, in addition to Mari, Father Isaac Royel and two other men were injured in the attack.

“We ask for your prayers at this time,” said the church in a message on Instagram. “It is the bishop’s and father’s wishes that you also pray for the perpetrator.”

“We also kindly ask anyone at the church premises to leave in peace, as our Lord and Saviour, Jesus Christ, teaches us,” the statement added.

The four injured men sustained non-life-threatening injuries and were transported to local hospitals by paramedics. A spokesperson for NSW Health said Bishop Mari’s injuries were “critical but stable.” The hospital where he is being treated went into partial lockdown according to ABC.

More than 100 police officers and 30 police vehicles including a helicopter were deployed to the area around the church after the attack.

Footage from the scene showed capsicum spray being used at one stage to try to disperse the crowd,” reports 9News. “It also appeared that police at one point used a ladder to break down a door in order to reach ambulance workers who were sheltering behind it.”

Premier Chris Minns asked the community to “remain calm and continue to listen and act to the directions of police and emergency services.”

“My thoughts and prayers are with the victims and first responders who are working to keep us safe,” said Minns, per “We are a strong community in NSW and it’s important that we all stick together, particularly in the face of adversity.”

The Ahmadiyya Muslim Community Australia released a statement condemning the attack and wishing the injured a speedy recovery, per The New York Post.

Editor's Note: A previous version of this story mistakenly referred to the bishop as a priest.

*For corrections please email [email protected]*